Driven to Espresso: Drive-through Coffee Stands in the Northwest

If you think coffee culture is cool, you have come to the right place. I have loads of information and opinions to share about espresso in the Pacific Northwest, especially the drive-through phenomenon.


Friday, March 05, 2010

Before and after of cover shot


I thought readers, especially photographers, might be interested in seeing one of the images from Driven to Espresso in a before-after comparison. The first one is just the raw scan from the negative. The second one has had some clean-up work done, as well as dodging and burning, tonal adjustments, and cropping. But most noticeably I added a color tint so it worked with the coffee color of the cover, and the steam was added above the spout. I didn't feel unjustified in adding the steam, because the owner of the stand told me that the stand is rigged to emit steam, it just wasn't turned on when I shot the photo.

This is the entire image; the cover layout has it cropped in a little. If you look below the stand, you'll see a shadow of myself. This was shot just before sunset, and although it gives it a great lighting effect, shooting around sunset or sunrise always presents the photographer the challenge of not casting his shadow upon the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home