Driven to Espresso: Drive-through Coffee Stands in the Northwest

If you think coffee culture is cool, you have come to the right place. I have loads of information and opinions to share about espresso in the Pacific Northwest, especially the drive-through phenomenon.


Monday, March 02, 2009

Early reviews

Driven to Espresso has received some early review comments from individuals in both the photographic community and the coffee industry. I am thrilled with their encouraging response!

Kent Bakke, CEO of La Marzocco (makers of some of the most highly-regarded espresso machines in the world)--"Thank you Ray for creating this book! I appreciate your skillful capturing of this memorable part of our Northwest espresso culture and history. It is a compelling documentary of our quirky and passionate fascination with espresso coffee and its many venues in the Northwest."

Ann Pallesen, Gallery Director, Photographic Center Northwest--"Somebody had to do it. Driven to Espresso is a wonderful portrait of the NW’s commitment to coffee lovers. It’s an endearing documentary that depicts the absurdity of the region's vice— which inevitably had to be recorded. Ray Wiesgerber is the dedicated photographer, who carefully compiled a representation of the NW culture’s need for espresso through his descriptive photographs of the most strikingly odd and quirky espresso joints. This documentary project is a well-rounded view of what you’ll find on the outskirts of the city. Me, personally? I’m a transplant in the NW’s coffee world. One of my first jobs in Seattle was as a barista in downtown Seattle. I’ll never forget that period of my life—waking up at 4 a.m., jumping out of bed in shock, throwing on my clothes, running down the street in the dark, in the rain, to catch the bus. 14 years later, I’m immune to the high number of coffee shops within arms reach, it’s the norm. It’s when I leave the region that I find myself shocked at the lack of availability of a quality coffee drink, and I start searching for the nearest Starbucks, online. I feel lucky to be a part of the NW Coffee Culture and don’t mind a bit if others view us as crazed coffee snobs. Ray’s photographs reveal that we have something really special going on here."

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

Congratulations, Ray!

3/3/09, 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home